The Pennsylvania Dutch tradition of pork and sauerkraut as your first meal of the New Year has been something my family has done since I was little. “Pork and Kraut” when eaten as your first meal of the New Year is said to bring you luck and prosperity.
In my family, that tradition has taken many forms, from pork chops to hot dogs. And, now that I am out of the house, something that I have continued.
Does it bring me luck and prosperity? Well, I’m not so sure about that, but I continue to eat the traditional New Year’s meal just in case.
Serve up this yummy pork with a big bowl of mashed potatoes and piled high with 'kraut for a lucky New Year.
Happy New Year to you and your family!
- 1 lb. boneless pork tenderloin
- 3 cups chicken stock (I use Knorr Chicken Stock)
- 1 ½ cups sweet white wine (I use Pinot Grigio)
- 2 Tbs. butter
- ½ Tbs. Garlic powder
- ½ Tbs. Onion powder
- 1 Tbs. Dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients into slow cooker.
- Cook 4 to 6 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low.