From Michael Phelps winning eight gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics to Nadia Comăneci receiving the first perfect 10 in 1976, there have been several unforgettable moments in Olympic history.
Patch celebrated the start of the games by posting Olympic trivia questions. The answers are posted below.
1. "Which of these cities has never hosted the Games?"
2. True or false. The United States has never won a gold medal in any fencing event that is currently still part of the Olympics
3. When were women first allowed to compete in the modern Olympics?
4. One of the events in which men compete directly with women is Sailing. Which is the other?
5. In 1904, American George Eyser won three golds, two silvers and a bronze in gymnastics. Besides the number of medals he took home, what was remarkable about his achievement?
- He had a wooden leg
1. Which author of the seminal book on baby and child care was also a gold medalist?
- Dr. Benjamin Spock
2. How long is the route for the marathon event in the 2012 Olympics?
- 26.3 miles
3. Who lit the torch to start the Games in Atlanta?
- Muhammad Ali
4. What is the name of the mascot of the 2012 Games?
5. How many perfect 10s was Nadia Comaneci awarded during the 1976 Olympics?
How many did you get right? Tell us in the comments.